Saturday, July 3, 2010

My Scariest Moment as a Parent...Ever!

Well, I guess the title of this post may be a little dramatic, but at the time, it seemed true! I guess it was one of those moments that made me realize that anything can happen. It all started when this very tired momma got up to start her day. The night before had been one of those late nights in which I had to get up several times. Not for the reasons that a parent of a newborn would have to be up, because Stella no longer wakes up during the night (have I mentioned how perfect she is?), but because the 3 oldest Adams children, were hanging out downstairs and being quite loud. Finally falling into a sound sleep at around 3 a.m., I was awakened when Mike came home a little after 6. That's usually when Stella starts her day, so I got up and splashed a little water on my face, changed her diaper and started to head downstairs. That's when it happened! I only remember walking down the first 3 steps when I started to fall. My first thought was, "Oh my God.....Stella!!!" I could not stop it from happening, so I just held her close and pushed myself backwards. I landed on my back and little Stella left out the loudest scream that I have ever heard from her. Then I started screaming! Mike was already at the bottom of the steps, surprisingly calm, checking to see if we were both okay. I scooped myself and my baby girl up and held her close till we both calmed down. After a few minutes, I realized that there was not a scratch on either one of us. Stella ate and as I relaxed, so did she. She was fine! Thankfully, I have a lot of extra "cushion" and she was not injured. 

I was so upset all day. Thinking about the "what ifs" had me terrified! Although, it could have happened to anyone, I still felt so guilty! It made me think back to when Stella was just a week old. We were leaving church and heading downstairs for fellowship time when my Dad said to me, "You're taking the elevator down, right?" I just laughed at him. My Dad is super paranoid about the kids getting hurt and we often make fun of him for it. Hmm...maybe, I should start listening to him! LOL!

10 comments:

  1. We had a similar accident. Only it was when we lived in Maine. My Husband took our baby out to the car, and it was icy. He fell on his back to scarface hurting our daughter. Then my friend picked her up and tried to put her in the car, and she fell... again in a way that made sure our daughter was not hurt. It took three people to finally get her in the car.. but oh my! I know what you mean. I'm glad you are both ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my friends fell down the stairs holding her baby in a carseat and fractured her ankle. But thankfully, baby was fine! Glad you both were ok!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Sandy! That is scary! Glad you and Stella are okay.

    When I was pregnant with Michaela I fell down the stairs. It was just two steps, but I fell front wards which bounced my backwards. I was so scared I was gonna miscarry, but I was fine. Stuff like that happens. Please don't feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you're both okay!!! A friend of mine did the same thing and her little one ended up in a cast from under her arms all the way to her calves for about 6 months. It was just awful. You are blessed!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you are both ok! I can imagine how scary it was!

    Stop by my blog, there's something there for you to brighten your day!
    www.completelychaoticandlovingit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes!! That IS scary. I know first-hand exactly what you were describing because I did the same thing with Logan. (Boy did I have some beautiful bruises...but he was just fine, so I wouldn't have it any other way).

    SO glad that you are both okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is scary. I missed a step once and fell, but not with baby in arms. So glad you're both ok.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So scary! I am so glad you were both okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you just brought back a very scary memory for me as well. Don't feel guilty, because it happens. Luckily, we have the instinct to protect. That is exactly what I did- wrap my arms around my baby and hold on for dear life as I took the fall with my back. I was pretty beat up, but baby was safe and sound. Glad you are okay.

    Jen
    Creative and Curious Kids!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Come back again!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...